This is a story about kickstarting LinkedIn audio spaces in Rosieland.
I’m sharing what I’m doing and how I’m thinking about it too. Of course, it can be applied to any “audio community activity”. In fact, the fundamental decision making principles could be applied to any community strategy.
Hello, I’m Rosie Sherry and I love audio spaces
Everyone has their preference of how to consume and create content. Outside of writing, audio spaces happen to be my favourite for a variety of reasons.
- they’re super easy to set up
- it’s a great way for people to contribute their ideas in a rough form (instead of procrastinating for weeks on an article that may never be shipped)
- they don’t have to be recorded, which means we can relax a bit and not think about production details 😅
- people in the audience can join in (though tread with caution!)
- having no more than 5 bullet points of ideas and questions is usually enough for a one-hour session
- I don’t have to worry about my hair 😄
But really, the best thing about audio spaces is the ability to give members a voice. This is more valuable than we realise.
But why use audio events?
Why not build it within the community, use Zoom with no video, or do a Livestream?
Mostly because of the time it takes to set up and gain traction. This doesn’t mean we don’t do other types of events. An audio event becomes part of the overall community offering. For example, in a Rosieland context, we’re doing audio events in addition to other smaller and more private events.
The power of using LinkedIn Audio Events is quite simply down to the ease of setting up a space and the ability to tap into the professional network of LinkedIn. Being efficient and seeking ways to find new reach for the community and members is always at the top of my list of priorities. Growth is really the hardest thing about any community.
There are a few other tools out there for audio spaces that you can consider:
- Discord (you need a Discord community, which disqualifies it for me)
- Twitter Spaces (eh, for obvious Elon reasons, I’m not investing any extra time there at the…